recommended size of root partition

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Sun Jul 1 19:45:00 UTC 2007

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007, Ben Kaduk wrote:

BK> > BK> Thanks!  What command did you use to do the decompression (and what
BK> > BK> was the source from which to decompress)?  I figured that doing an
BK> > BK> extraction would be the best way (since it directly tests the object
BK> > BK> in question), but I couldn't come up with something quick.
BK> >
BK> > Look at install.sh scripts in the distribution directories
BK> >
BK>
BK> I am still a bit confused.  When you say ``distribution directories,''
BK> I presume you mean the directory hierarchy of a distribution medium,
BK> such as an ISO image (or presumably the result of ``make
BK> distribution'').  I certainly don't see any global install.sh in
BK> /usr/src .  I made the original query because I wasn't equipped to do
BK> a make distribution, and I didn't have any install CD's handy.

Well, you can look for template in reference from /usr/src/release/Makefile,
namely release/scripts/*-install.sh ;-)

As for base, this is:

-- 8< --
#!/bin/sh
#
# $FreeBSD: src/release/scripts/base-install.sh,v 1.6 2002/04/30 09:57:21 ru
Exp $
#

if [ "`id -u`" != "0" ]; then
        echo "Sorry, this must be done as root."
        exit 1
fi

echo "You are about to extract the base distribution into ${DESTDIR:-/} - are
you SURE"
echo -n "you want to do this over your installed system (y/n)? "
read ans
if [ "$ans" = "y" ]; then
        cat base.?? | tar --unlink -xpzf - -C ${DESTDIR:-/}
fi
-- 8< --

Look at the cat... line

Sincerely,