RFC: The end of the contributors article

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 13 16:59:53 UTC 2007

Joel Dahl <joel at freebsd.org> wrote
  in <1168633900.1082.38.camel at jesus.automatvapen.se>:

jo> Fre 2007-01-12 klockan 20:11 +0900 skrev Hiroki Sato:
jo> >  It is good to make the contributors list up-to-date, but what is the
jo> >  benefit to move it to the www tree?  And where is the source file?
jo>
jo> You'll get to see the source when I have something to show you.

 Thanks.  I'll wait.

jo> >  I think issue we have for the list is that this sort of information
jo> >  is scattered in the doc/www tree and the scattered information is
jo> >  difficult to maintain (remember a case of the mirror site list).  So
jo> >  I think the direction we should go is to have a directory for the
jo> >  developers, build a structure to pick up necessary information from
jo> >  it, and leave the maintenance to each developer (like pgpkey).
jo> >  Maintaining such a directory in an HTML page is not a good idea---if
jo> >  we have active maintainers of the list it will work, but it will not
jo> >  last long unfortunately.  Since I could not find the source file of
jo> >  your proposed team.html I am not sure how this page was generated,
jo> >  but if it was done by hand let's take account of the maintenance
jo> >  issue first.
jo>
jo> I've been maintaining the contributors article for almost 1,5 year now,
jo> in case you haven't noticed.  This won't change anytime soon.

 Yes, I know.  I do not doubt if your activity would change.

 The matter I am concerned about is simply moving the contributors
 list to an HTML page would not help to reuse/centralize such
 scattered information (for example, we have some duplicated
 information in pgpkeys-*.sgml and the committers-guide, too).  To me,
 your proposed change is to update the list (yes, this is great.
 thanks a lot!) but there is no obvious reason to move all of the
 related information in the source file to the www tree.

jo> -  This information does not really belong in an article.

 Could you elaborate this?  As mentioned in the previous mail, I think
 this information should be in an independent database file, not
 belong in either article or an HTML page in the www tree.