RFC: The end of the contributors article

Joel Dahl joel at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 13 08:53:46 UTC 2007

Fre 2007-01-12 klockan 20:11 +0900 skrev Hiroki Sato:
> Joel Dahl <joel at freebsd.org> wrote
>   in <1168562996.1100.42.camel at jesus.automatvapen.se>:
>
> jo> Today I decided to finally do what I've been planning to do for a long
> jo> time: move stuff out of the contributors article and instead place it
> jo> under www/.
> jo>
> jo> I started with the teams etc and you can see the results here (nowhere
> jo> near finished yet though):
> jo>
> jo> http://people.freebsd.org/~joel/wii/team.html
> jo>
> jo> So, why bother anyway?  Well:
> jo>
> jo> -  Better information about what the different teams do and what their
> jo>    responsibilities are.  Our developers are generally very confused
> jo>    when it comes to finding the right person to talk to, for example
> jo>    when requesting repo-copies or new perforce accounts etc.  This will
> jo>    hopefully improve the situation somewhat.
> jo> -  The translation teams generally don't translate the contributors
> jo>    article since it doesn't seem to be worth the effort.  Hopefully
> jo>    this will change now, since this can be quite important information
> jo>    even for non-English speaking people.
> jo> -  Email addresses are not completely visible anymore.
> jo> -  This information does not really belong in an article.
> jo> -  This is more up-to-date and includes a lot more teams etc.
>
>  It is good to make the contributors list up-to-date, but what is the
>  benefit to move it to the www tree?  And where is the source file?

You'll get to see the source when I have something to show you.

>  I think issue we have for the list is that this sort of information
>  is scattered in the doc/www tree and the scattered information is
>  difficult to maintain (remember a case of the mirror site list).  So
>  I think the direction we should go is to have a directory for the
>  developers, build a structure to pick up necessary information from
>  it, and leave the maintenance to each developer (like pgpkey).
>  Maintaining such a directory in an HTML page is not a good idea---if
>  we have active maintainers of the list it will work, but it will not
>  last long unfortunately.  Since I could not find the source file of
>  your proposed team.html I am not sure how this page was generated,
>  but if it was done by hand let's take account of the maintenance
>  issue first.

I've been maintaining the contributors article for almost 1,5 year now,
in case you haven't noticed.  This won't change anytime soon.

--
Joel