Some help needed

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Jan 9 05:12:11 UTC 2007

M. Warner Losh wrote:
> I have a script that kinda automatically trolls the tree for the
> current set of required acknowledgements.  I'd like to work it from
> the PoC port of a NetBSD tool to an automated tool we can run for each
> of the active branches we have.  We're currently not in compliance
> with the advertising clause, and this will help...
>
> Comments?

I believe that FreeBSD should do it's level best to have a complete list of
contributors which acknowledge their work, regardless of the partial release
of the "BSD advertising clause" granted by the Regents.

If you don't advertise, you are in compliance with the "BSD advertising
clause".  Does the FreeBSD project actually advertise?  Does it advertise
specific components under a 4-clause BSD license by "features or use" in
particular?

Anyway, with regard to this tool, are you looking for help to write one, or
test it?  :-)  You mentioned something about a NetBSD tool; is it in ports?
Otherwise, a few minutes with shell commands gives a reasonable starting point:

> find /usr/src -print0 | xargs -0 fgrep -hC 3 "All advertising materials mentioning features" | fgrep -A 1 "software developed by" | grep -v "4. The name of"  | cut -b 3-

...and then maybe through uniq, or maybe switching to Perl or Python would be
better.  :-)

--
-Chuck