docs/115220: Patch to Handbook Printer Section to Add CUPS Configuration

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Mon Aug 6 13:18:13 UTC 2007

On 8/6/07, Marc Fonvieille <blackend at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 11:19:24AM +0200, Remko Lodder wrote:
> > >
> > >  A long time ago, for the (dead) doc TODO
> > >  (http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/todo.html) list, I talked with hrs@
> > >  about the need of something about CUPS, we reached a consensus about the
> > >  fact an extensive article was the best solution instead of a section in
> > >  the Handbook.
> > >
> > >  --
> > >  Marc
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > So, what are we going to do in the meantime? CUPS is rather standard these
> > days for *nix desktop users and all to print to devices. I personally
> > think that it fits perfectly into the Handbook, which describes common
> > things that one can do with a FreeBSD installation. Having CUPS
> > installation et all in a a different article makes it prone to get lost in
> > time.
> >
> > Personally I do not recall the discussion at all; please doc@ discuss this
> > so that we can reach a global consensus regarding this topic, ofcourse I
> > will hook up with the majority if they think this should indeed be an
> > article.
>
> Then, It'd great to discuss about all items of the previously mentioned
> link; since the content of that page was accepted in past and posted
> many times on freebsd-doc@, it's maybe time to update things.
>
> --
> Marc

I have been a Linux user for awhile, and CUPS is a fairly routine part
of the installation and configuration process for me.  Once I started
using FreeBSD, I was surprised that there was no CUPS configuration
information in the Handbook, since the Handbook seems to have so many
answers to so many of my other questions.  :-)  The Handbook is a
wonderful resource and everyone, rightly so, generally recommends new
users look to the Handbook for assistance.  Given that fact, and given
the number of CUPS related questions I have found in the mailing lists
and various FreeBSD forums, it would seem to me that the Handbook is a
very natural place for this information.  However, if the doc team
decides that a separate article is the best way to go, I would suggest
a link in the CUPS section of the Handbook to the new article might be
helpful.

In any event, whatever the doc team decides to do is perfectly fine by me.

My that's my < $0.02.  :-)

Thanks for considering my submission.

Regards,
Chess

P.S.  Can I just say how much I am enjoying FreeBSD?  I know this is
probably not the right place, but thanks to all the developers and
committers for their hard work.

--
Chess Griffin
GPG Public Key:  0x0C7558C3