FreeBSD Jumpstart Guide / PXE Docs (TFTP ONLY)

Brian A. Seklecki bseklecki at collaborativefusion.com
Thu Sep 7 14:48:41 UTC 2006

> The problem with NFS/TFTP you mention have existed for years, I reported
> it in 2004: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/74352
>
> The workaround/solution is documented in the guide I wrote:
>
> a) Compile kernel w/o NFS support and load these as modules after boot

Actually, now that I'm working it more closely (took a day to hack the
Dell PE 1950 problems), it would seem that your problem has to do with a
post-kernel load issue of finding the NFS root.

My problem is that even when you compile the pxeboot(8) binary w/o NFS
support, it still tries to do NFS (depending on DHCP variables, it
seems).

The other problem is that the NFS code sets the destination UDP port of
the NFS Mount request to port "0", which causes my PIX Firewall to,
well, you know...

~BAS

--
Brian A. Seklecki <bseklecki at collaborativefusion.com>