docs/101114: icmptype names not in icmp(4) manpage

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Wed Sep 6 18:27:45 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 14:46, John Archambeau wrote:
> I must be one of the few people who rtfm's first.  The Free/OpenBSD
> pf.conf manpage implies that number codes won't work but the icmptype
> abbreviations will.

Where does it say so?  There even is an example with the number code in
pf.conf(5):

   # pass out/in certain ICMP queries and keep state (ping)
   # state matching is done on host addresses and ICMP id (not type/code),
   # so replies (like 0/0 for 8/0) will match queries
   # ICMP error messages (which always refer to a TCP/UDP packet) are
   # handled by the TCP/UDP states
   pass on $ext_if inet proto icmp all icmp-type 8 code 0 keep state

>                      Also consider the output you get from pfctl
> -s[ar] which is in the OpenBSD icmptype abbreviation, not the number
> code.  Another ambiguity of filtering icmp traffic with the pf.conf
> manpage that should be addressed especially for those of us that
> migrate from ipfw to pf.

I can't see why the additional information in "-sr" is a bad thing.