docs/104879: Howto: Listen to IMA ADPCM .wav files on FreeBSD box

Sergey printer at klax.tula.ru
Sat Oct 28 12:10:31 UTC 2006

>Number:         104879
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Howto: Listen to IMA ADPCM .wav files on FreeBSD box
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39412
 Howto: Listen to IMA ADPCM .wav files on your FreeBSD box
I hope this howto will spare someone the headache it caused me this afternoon.

So you have a .wav file from your voicemail system (or wherever) that you discover is in IMA ADPCM format.

Code:

user at someplace$ file VoiceMsg.wav VoiceMsg.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, IMA ADPCM, mono 8000 Hz

Install two ports:

    * /usr/ports/audio/sox
    * /usr/ports/audio/adpcm

Now use sox to convert it to a suitable format. In my case I chose:
Code:

user at someplace$ sox -i VoiceMsg.wav -s out.wav

The -s option created a MS PCM file for me, but do whatever you'd like. See sox man pages for many more options, of course.

P.S. This was tested and confirmed on a FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE box.