New article

Yar Tikhiy yar at comp.chem.msu.su
Mon Oct 23 11:56:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 01:56:53AM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2006-10-15 21:35, Yar Tikhiy <yar at comp.chem.msu.su> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I wrote an article on our rc.d subsystem.  Its draft in sgml and
> > html is available at http://people.freebsd.org/~yar/rcng/ .  It has
> > been reviewed on freebsd-rc.  Now I'd like to add it to our article
> > collection.  I see that I should commit the article itself, then
> > update www/docs/books.sgml.  What else?
> >
> > P.S. Please feel free to review my article WRT its markup.  Thanks!
>
> Hi Yar,
>
> First of all, *THANKS*!
>
> This is a great article, and I really enjoyed reading it.  One of my
> latest commits to doc/ was, in fact, inspired by this article:

I'm much pleased to hear that my humble work was useful to you!

> Having said that, as I was going through the article, I noticed a few
> places where I would probably word things in a slightly different way.
> I am not sure if all my changes are ok, but the attached patch shows all
> the changes I have made locally.

Thank you for the patch!  Although I didn't apply all its parts
verbatim, the patch showed me quite a number of rough corners still
in my article.  I did my best to polish them.  The revised version
is ready at http://people.freebsd.org/~yar/rcng/ .

> This is still a work-in-progress, as I am going a second time through
> the article, looking for things which I would write in a different way,
> or for things which seem cool to add.  I'm not done, yet, but here is a
> first patch version, so we can work in parallel ;)

Your help is much appreciated!

> If you like any of the changes, feel free to import them in your own
> copy of the article.  Please, also let em know if you need help while
> committing this to doc/.

I can commit to doc by myself, and I'd like to, but would you mind
telling me what I should do apart from committing the article itself,
connecting it to the build via ../Makefile, and adding a reference
to the Books & Articles Online webpage?

By the way, what short title would you suggest for the article?
Does "rc-scripting" look good?

--
Yar