docs/99912: Wrong documentation of /etc/ftpchroot

Ceri Davies ceri at submonkey.net
Tue Oct 17 19:29:03 UTC 2006

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 12:02:00AM +0200, Remko Lodder wrote:
> Daniel Gerzo wrote:
> >Hello Remko,
> >
> >Friday, October 13, 2006, 11:30:21 AM, you wrote:
> >
> >>Synopsis: Wrong documentation of /etc/ftpchroot
> >
> >>State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> >>State-Changed-By: remko
> >>State-Changed-When: Fri Oct 13 09:29:48 UTC 2006
> >>State-Changed-Why:
> >>I believe this was fixed with the latest import of lukemftpd
> >>please report to me when I thought that incorrectly (checked
> >>the manual pages so it -should- be fixed).
> >
> >It wasn't actually :/
> >The ftpd's and lukemftpd's manual pages still conflict pretty badly.
> >

> Hey Daniel,
>
> Care to explain what still conflicts then? I checked the ftpchroot
> information and that is well explained now, which was the reason
> of the PR...

ftpchroot(5) claims to be the manpage for ftpd(8).  It isn't.  It's a
manpage that comes with lukemftpd(8).  Coincidentally, it seems somewhat
correct (it looks like the lukemftpd use of ftpusers changed to match
ours?).  However, it also states:

  If the ftpusers file does not exist, all users are denied access.

which is not true of ftpd(8).

I have not verified that the ftpchroot syntax is the same for both
ftpd(8) and lukemftpd(8).

Ceri
                                                  -- Moliere