RFC: Release notes rearrangement

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Tue Nov 21 19:52:34 UTC 2006

If memory serves me right, Christian Brueffer wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 08:01:53PM -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> [...]
>> To address these problems I'd like to collapse all of the MD documents
>> into a single set of MI documents.  For paragraphs (sections,
>> whatever) that only apply to given architectures, we'd simply add
>> in-line text indicating this, something like:
>>
>> 	[i386] Some sentence applying only to i386.
>>

> Hmm, what I like about the current notes is that if I'm only interested
> in on arch, I just get the stuff that concerns this specific arch.  From
> what you describe here it sounds like this:
>
> [i386] Some sentence applying only to i386.
>
> [amd64] Some sentence applying only to amd64.
>
> [arm] Some sentence applying only to arm.
>
> [sparc64] Some sentence applying only to sparc64.
>
> [i386] Some sentence applying only to i386.
>
> Of course many items are general, but I think we want to avoid clutter
> like this.  Do you have something in mind for this?  Maybe put all the
> arch specific stuff in special arch sections below all the generic
> stuff?
>
> OTOH, maybe I've just completely misunderstood you :-)

Hey Christian--

You understood me correctly I think!  Remember that only a small
fraction (< 10%) of paragraphs in HEAD's release notes have this
property, so I don't think that things will be really cluttered.

On HEAD:

tomcat:common% grep '<para' new.sgml | wc
     380    2598   24637
tomcat:common% grep '<para arch=' new.sgml | wc
      27     179    1852

On RELENG_6_2 (this is just an example of what a more "typical" release
would look like...I don't intend):

tomcat:common% grep '<para' new.sgml | wc
     111     780    7068
tomcat:common% grep '<para arch=' new.sgml | wc
       7      50     478

Maybe I should try to mock this up so we're thinking about the same thing?

Bruce.