docs/104403: man security should mention that the usage of the X Window Systen is only possible with kern.securitylevel=-1

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Sun Nov 12 00:30:33 UTC 2006

The following reply was made to PR docs/104403; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org>
To: "Dr. Markus Waldeck" <waldeck at gmx.de>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/104403: man security should mention that the usage of the X Window Systen is only possible with kern.securitylevel=-1
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 01:18:11 +0100

 On 2006-10-14 09:29, "Dr. Markus Waldeck" <waldeck at gmx.de> wrote:
 > man security should mention that the usage of the X Window Systen is
 > only possible with kern.securitylevel=-1.
 >
 > With kern.securitylevel=0 or higher it is not possible to start X.

 You can still use `xdm' or a similar way of starting X11, because
 it will be started by init(8) before the securelevel is raised by
 the `/etc/rc.d/securelevel' script.

 I don't think this is worth mentioning in security(7), because
 we can't possibly document *ALL* the possible things that can
 fail with a bumped securelevel.