[patch] deadlock debugging

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 23 14:18:22 UTC 2006

On 2006-06-23 16:58, Kostik Belousov <kostikbel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 04:25:58PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > This seems like a useful addition to the developer's handbook,
> > but I have some minor comments.  See inline text below:
> > [...]
> > Does this version look ok to you?  I can handle the merging of this
> > change with your initial diff/patch
>
> I like you changes, they provide useful context and give the
> proper exposure to the problems.

Thanks :)

> My intent for the addition was to have the place for pointing out when
> asked "how to debug deadlocks" ? Could you additions and my do-it
> guide coexist side-by-side ? For instance, by summarizing the
> information developers want to obtain from the problem machine, at the
> end of section ?

That's a good idea.  Do you think it makes sense to split the addition
to sub-sections, i.e.:

    + Debugging Kernel Deadlocks
      - What is a deadlock
      - Using DDB to gather deadlock information
      - Kernel options useful for deadlock debugging
      - Summary

I didn't add <sect2> elements around the text I sent, but this shouldn't
be very hard to do, I guess.