docs/98406: ethers(5): "ethernet-adress" and "fully-qualified-host-name" in wrong order

Maxim Konovalov maxim at macomnet.ru
Sun Jun 11 21:10:24 UTC 2006

The following reply was made to PR docs/98406; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Maxim Konovalov <maxim at macomnet.ru>
To: Patrick Hess <patrickhess at gmx.net>
Cc: bug-follwoup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/98406: ethers(5): "ethernet-adress" and "fully-qualified-host-name"
 in wrong order
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 00:56:55 +0400 (MSD)

 Hi Patrick,

 [...]
 > ethers(5) states:
 >
 >     The ethers database contains information regarding known 48-bit
 >     ethernet addresses of hosts on an Internetwork.  The data is
 >     stored in a file called /etc/ethers in the following format:
 >
 >            ethernet-address fully-qualified-host-name
 >
 > Should be:
 >
 >            fully-qualified-host-name ethernet-address

 What makes you think so?

 src/lib/libc/net/ether_addr.c::ether_line():

 %        i = sscanf(l, "%x:%x:%x:%x:%x:%x %s", &o[0], &o[1], &o[2],
 %                                              hostname);

 ether_line(3) expects the fields in order described in the man page.

 I won't be surprised if there is a program outside the base system
 which reads /etc/ethers in opposite order but that won't be FreeBSD
 problem.

 --
 Maxim Konovalov