docs/35943: at(1) config files are misplaced in /var/at/

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 7 05:31:39 UTC 2006

The following reply was made to PR docs/35943; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Rhodes <trhodes at FreeBSD.org>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, swear at blarg.net, keramida at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/35943: at(1) config files are misplaced in /var/at/
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 01:23:34 -0400

 Hi,

 Gary states: at(1) should look in /etc for the files.
 Giorgos states: Not a bad idea, but it should be backwords compat.

 I say:

 If we are going to do something like this, I'd like to see the
 following requirements met:

 1: We do add support for at least both file locations and
    wrap the old one in BURN_BRIDGES.

 2: Follow the POSIX example and drop the files in /usr/lib/cron
    instead of /etc.  Linux drops them in /etc.  Solaris and
    POSIX looks for them in /usr/lib/cron.  I'd prefer to follow
    POSIX and Solaris here.

 Now we should either create a patch and toss it across -arch
 and -standards, or not bother and close this PR.  There will be
 a lot of complaints about this being a bikeshed, useless change,
 taking us out of sync with other BSDs, etc.  But let's either
 make an effort to do something or drop it totally.  What's it
 going to be?  :)

 Thanks,

 Note, if I don't get feedback on this, I'll close the PR.

 --
 Tom Rhodes