docs/98541: tun man page references obsolite ioctl

David Gilbert dgilbert at daveg.ca
Mon Jun 5 20:00:57 UTC 2006

>Number:         98541
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       tun man page references obsolite ioctl
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD canoe.dclg.ca 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #7: Sun Jun 4 18:23:37 EDT 2006 dgilbert at canoe.dclg.ca:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/CANOE i386

As above
tun.4 currently references SIOCSIFADDR.  When asking about this,
I received:

From: "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net>
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert at dclg.ca>
Cc: freebsd-hackers at freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 19:36:20 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, David Gilbert wrote:

> I read in the if_tun manpage that it supports SIOCSIFADDR (such that
> it works with ifconfig).  I like examples, so I search the ifconfig
> source code for SIOCSIFADDR.  None.  Then I search the entire source
> tree.  ppp uses it to set the IPX address.  Obviously SIOCSIFADDR is
> not the preferred way to do this anymore.  Hints?

SIOCSIFADDR/SIOCSIFDSTADDR was deprecated about 10 years ago. See
man 4 netintro /Calls which are now deprecated are .
If you want SIOCSIFADDR/SIOCSIFDSTADDR for tun you need a patch I
have in my tree.
SIOCAIFADDR is what you really want. Look at ppp sources for examples
for example.

>How-To-Repeat:
man 4 tun
>Fix:

*** tun.4.orig	Mon Jun  5 15:49:27 2006
--- tun.4	Mon Jun  5 15:51:12 2006
***************
*** 65,73 ****
  Each interface supports the usual network-interface
  .Xr ioctl 2 Ns s ,
  such as
! .Dv SIOCSIFADDR
! and
! .Dv SIOCSIFNETMASK ,
  and thus can be used with
  .Xr ifconfig 8
  like any other interface.
  Each interface supports the usual network-interface
  .Xr ioctl 2 Ns s ,
  such as
! .Dv SIOCAIFADDR
  and thus can be used with