How do translation teams work?

Rudolf Cejka cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz
Tue Jul 18 10:02:56 UTC 2006

Hello,
  I'm interested, how translation teams do work and if there would be
any interest in making some translation framework into a public. Please,
could you send some info about you, too? Thanks.

For example, the Czech translation:

- There is a local Czech web translation on http://www.FreeBSD.cz/cs/,
  or http://www.FreeBSD.cz/, where preferred Czech or Slovak language
  is automatically redirected to Czech pages.

- It is just partial translation, where
  find www/cs -name "*.xml" -o -name "*.sgml"
  reports 97 files. However, on the other side, it is carefully
  maintained for very long time (currently about 6 years now).

- Currently I'm the only maintainer of Czech translation.

- There is nothing translated from doc tree.

- Over the time, we have developed local translation method, where almost
  any of work except for a translation itself is automatized:

  We have all files in a local CVS repository.

  Every day morning, there is posted a mail, where is a list of
  all files, which have to be modified, deleted, and/or added. It is
  done by comparing local translation tree with original English tree.
  For example, today I received mail with several changes accumulated
  over several days:
    upd www/cs/news/press.xml 1.201 => 1.203
    upd www/cs/platforms/alpha.sgml 1.4 => 1.5
    upd www/cs/platforms/xbox.sgml 1.4 => 1.5
    upd www/cs/releng/index.sgml 1.185 => 1.186
    upd www/cs/share/sgml/usergroups.xml 1#1.33 => 1.35
    upd www/en/news/press.xml 1.201 => 1.203
    upd www/share/sgml/usergroups.xml 1.33 => 1.35
    del ...
    add ...

  Then I copy and paste "upd file version" line into terminal window
  with added "x" before "upd", which starts an editor with two windows:
  One with local translated file, the second with a diff between older
  English revision and newest English revision. When there are several
  changes in one file (like press.xml 1.201 -> 1.203), I can go in
  arbitrary number of revisions per one step. This is good, when one
  change is for example just very big white space, and the second is
  something completely different. Command "upd" is a subset of "xupd",
  it just displays the diff, so I can be shocked about the changes
  before I go to translation work :o)

  Currently, it does not work just for direct dependencies like
  www/en/platforms/xbox.sgml -> www/cs/platforms/xbox.sgml, but
  it does work for all other dependencies, which can be simply
  mentioned in local translation file, like I have specified, that
  www/cs/share/sgml/usergroups.xml is dependent on
  www/share/sgml/usergroups.xml.

  And this is my technique for maintaining the Czech translation.

Regards.

PS: I think that better is to reply to me personally, then I can
send here some summary, or create some article and/or web page.

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology