New article: FreeBSD PXEBoot Guide

Erik Nørgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Sun Jul 16 09:32:31 UTC 2006

Hi:

I have written an article for FreeBSD - FreeBSD PXEBoot Guide.

The article describes how to use pxeboot for network booting, both for
jumpstart installation and diskless clients. I found that the existing
articles, pxe and diskless-x are either outdated, lacks important
details or both (at least I needed more details).

Since jumpstart and diskless shares a lot on the server side, I thought
it appropriate to cover both in the same article.

There are some sections that I am still working on (the diskless stuff),
but I think that the article is mature enough to be useful, and I would
appreciate if anyone have time to look and comment on it.

To read the latest build, check

  http://www.daemonsecurity.com/pub/pxeboot/

To download the sgml source, check

  http://www.daemonsecurity.com/pub/pxeboot.tar.gz

This is my first article I've written for FreeBSD and the first in
docbook, so there are likely some errors. In particular I've had the
problem that

 <command>&man.command.X;</command>

gives an error, and without the <command>-tag it's not typeset as
commands. Also, no link the man-page is created.

Also, I think there are inconsistencies in my use of <command>,
<filename> and <literal> as well as when to specify absolute paths or
just the filename will suffice.

I appreciate any comments or corrections.

Thanks, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org
X.509 Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/8D03551FFCE04F0C.crt