ndis and wireless connection documentation fix

Jeff Lutzenberger jeffl at iesweb.com
Mon Jan 2 19:47:47 UTC 2006

I'm very new to BSD but I really like the architecture and am having a blast
with it so far, thank you thank you thank you!

I just got my Belkin (cheap) wireless card working using ndis. I was
following the instructions in the handbook under the network-wireless
chapter and found a nice place to get tripped up as a newbie. After messing
around for a while I finally realized I had to copy the .ko file to
/boot/kernel in order to kldload the module. For what ever reason 'make
install' did not copy the module to /boot/kernel (maybe that's a good
thing!). While I realize I should have thoroughly rtfm, I think the
documentation could possibly be improved here.

The procedure for me became:

# ndiscvt -i my_network_driver.inf -s my_network_driver.sys -o
ndis_driver_data.h

# make && make install

# cp my_network_driver.ko /boot/kernel

# kldload if_ndis

# kldload my_network_driver

As opposed to the following procedure given in the handbook:

# ndiscvt -i my_network_driver.inf -s my_network_driver.sys -o
ndis_driver_data.h

# make && make install

# kldload ndis

# kldload if_ndis

Is this a special case for the Belkin card or is this a common
problem/procedure?

Jeff