Handbook whitespace cleanup

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 13 12:44:00 UTC 2006

On 2006.02.13 15:25:24 +0300, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:

> I think at least largest chapters (e.g., 300+ lines with whitespace changes)
> should be cleaned up.  Any objections (besides well-known issue with screen
> and programlisting contents where should be no tabs)?

My position is the same as I have said before, I think whitespace
changes for the sake of whitespaces changes is a bad idea, since the
added pain is greater than the gain.  Also, if whitespace changes are
to be done in sweep the chapters should be completely fixed including
indentation, line breaks etc. since the pain will be the same.  Pain
in this case is all the uncommitted changes which will be nuked and
cvs annotate which will be more difficult to use.

If changes are done just before or after a related content change I
think it's fine to do whitespace changes, since broken formatting can
get in the way of real work and since the content change will probably
have invalidated people's changes anyway.

Oh, and for the record - broken indentation, EOL whitespace etc. is
something which I find annoying, but the pain of doing sweeps like
this are just too great IHMO.

Just my 0.01$CURRENCY.

--
Simon L. Nielsen