Handbook custom kernel procedure missing?

Johann Kois freebsd at koisnet.de
Tue Dec 5 15:40:16 UTC 2006

John Murphy wrote:
> The Handbook Chapter 8.3 Building and Installing a Custom Kernel:
> <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html>
>
> States "If you have installed only the kernel source code, use procedure
> 1."
>
> I have indeed installed only the kernel source code, but can't seem to
> find
> any further reference to "procedure 1".

This section was changed not so long ago (Rev. 1.168, if I am not mistaken).
During this commit instructions for the "traditional way" (aka "procedure1")
have been moved to the developers handbook
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kernelbuild.html).

>was I have tried the:
> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
> procedure which results in the error:
> make: don't know how to make buildkernel. Stop
>
> There is a note which says "It is required to have full FreeBSD source
> tree
> to build the kernel." which seems to contradict the line which mentions
> "procedure 1".

You are right.  "procedure 1" does not need the full source tree, only
the kernel sources.  But the handbook now only covers "procedure 2"
(with "make buildkernel") which is recommend for newer versions of
FreeBSD, but requires the full source tree.

> What usually happens is that the answer becomes obvious as soon as I send
> the message, but in case that doesn't happen, could someone kindly remind
> me what procedure 1 is, and amend the fine handbook if appropriate.

Thanks for the report.  Obviously this section needs a little cleanup.

J. Kois