mount(8) async description

Daniel Gerzo danger at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 27 01:42:27 UTC 2006

Hello doc,

  Milos Vyletel [mv(a)rulez.sk] noticed me about the current
  description of the async flag for the mount -- we currently have:

  async   All I/O to the file system should be done asynchronously.
`         This is a dangerous flag to set, and should not be used
          unless you are prepared to recreate the file system
          should your system crash.

  Firstly, we thought that the last line is wrong, that
  s/should/after/ would work, but I was told that the current version
  is proper English.

  But I still agree with Milos and I don't like the current
  description, therefore I produced a patch which says:

  async   All I/O to the file system should be done asynchronously.
          This is a dangerous flag to set, although it increases
          I/O performance.  When this option is used, it is not
          guaranteed to keep a consistent file system structure on
          the disk, and it is impossible to verify the integrity of
          data.  It should be used only if some application-spe-
          cific data recovery mechanism is present, or recreation
          of the file system is not a problem.

  I passed this through my mentors, it was OK'd by Tom, but Giorgos
  says it's too wordy and he likes NetBSD's description:

  async    All I/O to the file system should be done asyn-
           chronously.  In the event of a crash, it is
           impossible for the system to verify the integrity of
           data on a file system mounted with this option.  You
           should only use this option if you have an applica-
           tion-specific data recovery mechanism, or are willing
           to recreate the file system from scratch.

  To be complete, OpenBSD has:

  async   All I/O to the file system should be done asynchronously.
          This is a dangerous flag to set since it does not guaran-
          tee to keep a consistent file system structure on the
          disk.  You should not use this flag unless you are pre-
          pared to recreate the file system should your system
          crash.  The most common use of this flag is to speed up
          restore(8) where it can give a factor of two speed in-
          crease.

  Giorgos told me to go through doc@ and ask what other people think.
  So here it is. What do you think about my description? Would you
  accept it, or should I trim it a bit? Or just pick the NetBSD's one
  and commit?

--
Best regards,
 Daniel                          mailto:danger at FreeBSD.org