FreeBSD's SVG logos are broken(was Re: FreeBSD Logo)

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 05:18:10 UTC 2006

On 8/22/06, Dan Langille <dan at langille.org> wrote:
> On 22 Aug 2006 at 9:31, Daniel Gerzo wrote:
>
> > Hello Dan,
> >
> > Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 9:18:01 AM, you wrote:

> > > Opera 9.01 on Windows NT renders it just fine.
> >
> > I'm using Opera 9.01 on Windows XP and it does not render well. I can
> > see weird colors in the logo, a mix of yellow, orange and red and
> > black. If anybody is interested in screenshot, I can capture it :-)
>
> The errors of my ways have been highlighted.  Ignore my  previous
> claim please.

After more fiddling I still can't get the SVG logo(s) to display
correctly. It will only display correctly in Adobe products. I've
tried Inkscape, Karbon14, Opera 9, and Firefox 1.5... I even opened up
the original Adobe Illustrator file in Illustrator CS2 and re-exported
it to SVG. no dice! zero! nill! nothing! I even played with all the
Illustrator SVG export settings.

We have a decision to make. Do we keep the bad logo(s) in the SVG file
or pitch them? If we can't view or use the logos on FreeBSD or Linux
why do we keep them.... only people with Adobe + Windows or Mac can
see them.

Here's what I think we should do:
1. Slice and dice the master logo-basic.ai file so that each logo has
it's own discrete file.
2. Each logo file will then be download-able in different file formats:
  .AI, .EPS, .SVG, .TIF, and/or anything else you can think of.
3. Redesign the logo.html page to accommodate all the new files.

I have Adobe Illustrator CS2, Photoshop CS2, etc. and I'm willing to
do this for the group, but only if I get some kind of official nod. I
don't want to waste my time doing all of this work and not have them
put on the website.

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/