docs/102334: Handbook and man pages for firewalls are inconsistent

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Aug 21 01:10:10 UTC 2006

>Number:         102334
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Handbook and man pages for firewalls are inconsistent
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD slan.es.net 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #21: Sat Aug 12 22:41:34 PDT 2006 root at slan.es.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/IBM-T43 i386

The handbook and the man page for firewalls are inconsistent. I
suspect both might be correct, but it would probably be less confusing
if they were consistent.

The man page recommends adding 'firewall_type="/etc/ipfw.conf"' to
/etc/rc.conf while the handbook call for
'firewall_script="/etc/ipfw.rules"'. The handbook seems more intuitive
to me, but they really should be consistent.
>How-To-Repeat:
	N/A
>Fix:

	Select either method and make man pate and handbook consistent.