docs/86733: [patch] Add using kldload as an alternative to compiling in gbde in your kernel

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 30 14:17:07 UTC 2005

On Friday 30 September 2005 04:00 am, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR docs/86733; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon at FreeBSD.org>
> To: Josh Paetzel <josh at tcbug.org>
> Cc: FreeBSD gnats submit <FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org>
> Subject: Re: docs/86733: [patch] Add using kldload as an alternative to
> compiling in gbde in your kernel Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:54:05 +0200
>
>  --qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk
>
>  On 2005.09.29 17:16:01 -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:
>  >=20
>  > +        <para>At this time there is no option in
>  > +            <filename>/boot/loader.conf</filename>
>  > +            to load the kernel module at boot time
>  > +        </para>
>
>  Sure about that?  It's been a while since I played with gbde (now it's
>  just running) but I'm rather sure 'geom_bde_load=3D"YES"' in loader.conf
>  works just fine.
>
>  I only have a 7.0 handy that I can reboot, but there it works just
>  fine loading gbde from loader.conf.

Yes, it will work.  None of the foo_load variables are explicit in the loader.
Instead, it walks all the environment variables and if any variable ends with
_load, it tries to load the kld named by the prefix.  Thus, if you set
foo_load=YES, it will try to load foo.ko and will unset foo_load if it is
successful.