RFC: second try at improving Handbook's boot manager text

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Thu Sep 15 20:49:20 UTC 2005

"Kevin Oberman" <oberman at es.net> writes:

>> +      possibly with the help the BIOS.</para>
>              of----------------^

Thanks for finding that.

>> +    <para>The code within the MBR is usually referred to as a <emphasis>boot
>> +      manager</emphasis>, especially when it interacts with the user; in this case
>                                                   . I------------------^
>> +      the boot manager usually also has more code in the first
>> +      <emphasis>track</emphasis> of the disk or within some OS's file system.  (A

(Too long, huh?  I like semi-colons too much.  In high school, an
English uber-teacher asked for a 15-sentence story, and I wrote some
very long sentences that she uncharacteristically accepted, semicolons
and all.  A roommate showed me a book he was reading that had
sentences which ran on for pages; maybe a whole chapter, I forget.)

I've changed it, thanks.

>> +      remainder of the operating system.  The MBR installed by &man.fdisk.8;,
>              . I-------------------^ (This one is debatable and there
> is no clear right/wrong issue.)

Yeah, I like that one.  It would be better with "it's" (but we have a
lame rule against it).  But I can see that the last phrase has nothing
to do with the first except it = MBR, so I'll change that one too.