Minor error in freebsd handbook

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Sep 13 03:00:57 UTC 2005

On 2005-09-12 22:55, Koen Heringa <noek at home.nl> wrote:
> Hello, I think I found an error in the online freebsd handbook.
> But I am not very sure because I am very new to bsd.
> Anyway in Chapter 8 Configuring the FreeBSD Kernel,
>
> *Procedure 1. Building a Kernel the ?Traditional? Way*
>
>   1.
>
>      Run config(8)
>      <http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=config&sektion=8> to
>      generate the kernel source code.
>
> # /usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
>
> I think the command should be
> # /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/config MYKERNEL
>
> Atleast that's what I make of it when I lookup the config command in the
> hyperlinked text.

That's not quite right.  I don't think there's a 'config' binary in the
source tree if one has followed the recommended way of running "make
buildworld".  Even if there is, it's going to be in a totally different
path (i.e. under /usr/src/usr.sbin/config) and it's still something we
don't want new users to do.

Those who know enough to build their own version of config(8) are
already experienced users and don't need the Handbook, so this works the
other way too :)