docs/85928: [patch] typo in ftp-primer (en_US.ISO8859-1)

Yar Tikhiy yar at comp.chem.msu.su
Mon Sep 12 14:00:36 UTC 2005

The following reply was made to PR docs/85928; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Yar Tikhiy <yar at comp.chem.msu.su>
To: Pierre Riteau <kineox at gmail.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/85928: [patch] typo in ftp-primer (en_US.ISO8859-1)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:58:51 +0400

 On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 02:42:40PM +0200, Pierre Riteau wrote:
 > 2005/9/12, Yar Tikhiy <yar at comp.chem.msu.su>:
 > > You seem to be missing the whole point.  It is an _example_ of raw
 > > HTML source to show to the reader of fdp-primer.
 >
 > Oh, now I get it. I was totally misunderstanding the purpose of this
 > example. The fact that it was not easy to read made me think that it
 > was a mistake. So the french documents is right too. I'm so sorry...
 >
 > Thank you for explaining me clearly why I was totally wrong, and I'm
 > sorry I wasted your time so much.

 Never mind, recursive examples of markup can be really tough to grok :-)

 > > P.S. I'd rather kill the sentence saying, "Note that the <p> element
 > > is not required in the single paragraph case."  First, it is a bogus
 > > statement in the presence of CSS.  Second, we'll have nothing to argue
 > > over then ;-)
 >
 > I'm far from being an expert in HTML/CSS, I want to be sure I am
 > understanding well. What do you mean by "style elements implicitly
 > associated with the <p> tag" ?

 I mean the following.  AFAIK, it is possible with CSS to specify
 that ordinary <body> text will be, say, Times New Roman 12pt single
 spaced while any <p> text will be Helvetica 14pt double spaced.  In
 fact, if you specify any properties for <p> text with CSS, there
 will be a great chance of them different from the default properties
 of ordinary <body> text.

 By "implicitly" (perhaps a poorly chosen word) I meant that you
 write "<p>something" just to get a new paragraph, but get a different
 style for the text unexpectedly if you don't control the CSS.  And
 vice versa, you may need to always use <p> if the CSS defines finer
 style for <p> text, but leaves ordinary text at its defaults.

 --
 Yar