Bridging section of the handbook

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Sat Sep 10 17:40:33 UTC 2005

Josh Paetzel <josh at tcbug.org> writes:

> man 4 bridge does not list supported cards.  Would it be a worthy
> project for me to contact all of the network card driver's authors
> and get a list of cards to add to the man page?

Can't say.  But that's going to be one long list.  I hope you've
looked at
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/hardware-i386.html#ETHERNET
(which, BTW, should be organized by NIC and by chipsets, instead
of by drivers, but it's probably not worth the trouble changing
since readers can use "find").

But if you do dig up the information, it might help in the maintenance
of the list to start a tradition of having each NIC driver manpage
include a labeled "Bridging" section (or at least a paragraph) where
it says to what extent it supports bridging.  Or just do that and
forget the list.  Most people have NICs in hand and could then find
the info easily enough in the driver manpage.  The list only helps
those looking for a bridging-capable NIC, but I suspect that that's
reletively few and since most (?) NICs support bridging, it shouldn't
be hard for them to find one by checking a few guesses.