docs/87351: Jail building instructions don't work as described with default CSH shell

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Wed Oct 26 21:25:27 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 02:01:50PM -0700, Eli K. Breen wrote:
> I realize I may be opening a can of worms

You are :-)

> why do we continue to use csh as the default shell being that I'd
> hazard most sane mortals use sh or bash?

Because we always have, and changing it at this late date would violate
the Principle Of Least Astonishment (aka POLA).

This has been a topic on the mailing lists many times and the conclusion
has always been that too many people would become very unhappy if we
changed it.

Myself, it's the first change I make on any installed system.

So, really, this issue has been debated and settled as far as almost
everyone is concerned.

mcl