FAQ Updates

Jordan Sissel psionic at csh.rit.edu
Thu Oct 6 13:50:50 UTC 2005

On 6 October 2005 at 3:09, linimon at lonesome.com (Mark Linimon) wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 03:45:15AM -0400, Jordan Sissel wrote:
> > Apologiges if this isn't the proper point of contact for the FAQ.
>
> It is, but there is an "underground movement" of sorts to try to
> take the technical information out of the FAQ and put it into the
> Handbook.  (This would leave the FAQ a 'what is FreebSD' resource).
> The FAQ is at best duplicating the Handbook information but more often
> than not is far behind it.
>
> Please see if you might think the Handbook might be a better place for
> this updated information.
>
> mcl

The handbook would be an excellent place for such information! Great way
to consolidate most of the "how to use FreeBSD" information even better
into one location. Etc, etc. Preaching to the choir, eh?

Would the FAQ work like this, then?
Q: How do I do *foo*?
A: Check out *this* (with a happy link) entry in the handbook!

If so, then how should the new entries into the handbook be organized?
The handbook thusfar seems to be a very neatly organized set of articles
relating to a large number of topics. Most articles being atleast a page
long. With FAQ entries being usually 2-5 sentence answers, typically not
meriting a whole article for dedication.

I assume there are already ideas surrounding FAQ answer organization
into the handbook? At this point I'm not quite sure how it would work,
but the plan of having the FAQ not duplicate information already in the
handbook is a great one. It has the added benefit of directing people
from "How do I do this" to the handbook much faster than, say, googling
for something random hoping to find a howto. Again, great idea.

How can I help?

Regards,
-Jordan