New website rendering problem

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 6 01:59:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 20:54 -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
> Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> > On Wednesday,  5 October 2005 at 21:19:48 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> >
> >>Take a look at http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q27.  I'm
> >>using <tt> and <pre> tags to display pre-formatted text.  However, it
> >>comes out looking quite awful in the new layout.
> >

> > Well, it would help to understand what you're seeing.  I see
> > fixed-width text that's about 50% too large.  Selecting normal or
> > large text size makes no difference.  But, unlike the home page, at
> > least it renders "correctly", without overlapping fields and texts
> > that overflow their boxes.
> >

> >>What should I be using instead?
> >

> > IE?  It looks as good as could be expected there, though even then it
> > overflows the box a little bit.
>
> Funny - it looks perfect for me on my FreeBSD 7 box with Mozilla.
>
> Maybe you should snap a screen shot and post a link..

This prompted me to check out other browsers.  I was using Epiphany, and
prior to the website update, the text rendered fine.    I just assumed
it would affect the other browsers as well since it was the only change.
But you're right.  Firefox, Mozilla, and Opera seem to do it right.

This is what I see in Epiphany:

http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/gnome_site_font.png

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org