Building documents outside doc/ tree impossible?

Yar Tikhiy yar at comp.chem.msu.su
Mon May 30 16:50:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 12:25:15AM +0900, Hiroki Sato wrote:
> Yar Tikhiy <yar at comp.chem.msu.su> wrote
>   in <20050530141615.GA55963 at comp.chem.msu.su>:
>
> ya> My memory fails to tell me reliably if this was ever possible, but
> ya> I've just found that building a document outside the doc/ tree fails
> ya> due to errors regarding mailing list entities.  Of course, I'm
> ya> setting DOC_PREFIX to the actual location of the doc/ tree.  Is
> ya> this by design, due to a bug, or my fault?  I've failed to find any
> ya> suspicious Makefile.inc files in the tree or whatever.
>
>  You have to set both of $DOC_PREFIX and
>  $LANGCODE (LANGCODE=en_US.ISO8859-1, for example).

This indeed cures my problem.  Thanks a lot!

Should we document this point somewhere?
Google doesn't think it is documented already ;-(
And which knobs should be documented along with these to keep
the things logical and comprehensive?
Sorry, I like to write and commit documentation periodically,
but I have little knowledge about our FDP machinery.

--
Yar