Questions to kill in FAQ

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Fri May 13 19:51:17 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 08:14:28PM +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:

> On 12 May 2005, at 19:59, Michael W. Lucas wrote:
>
> >3.16 -- I believe that the 1024 limit no longer exists on modern
> >FreeBSD?
>
> Like the questions says, I was under the impression that this was a
> BIOS problem, so it's probably not going away.

I believe I've installed FreeBSD in the top half of a large disk
before, but I'm not entirely confident that I did so correctly.

> >6.1 -- FreeBSD Mall doesn't seem to offer the mentioned "Desktop
> >  Edition."  (I could lean forward and ask Murray, but Robert is
> >  talking at the moment and that would be rude.)
>
> Did he shut up yet? ;^)

He did shut up, and the commit has been made.

> >6.2,6.4 -- Metrolink seems to be gone, and XiG doesn't appear to
> >support FreeBSD
>
> We don't support a.out in current any more anyway (or did I dream
> that?); get rid.
>
> >6.3 -- The answer seems to be "sorry, no longer available."
>
> Thankfully.
>
> >9.3 -- NLAF?
>
> Now *this* one I do think is due to the fact that it is in the FAQ.

OK, fair enough.  It is long, however.  It sure looks like a candidate
for migration to the Handbook.

> >9.4 -- NLAF?
>
> Ditto.
>
> >16.8 -- NLAF?
>
> Can go.
>
> >18.15 -- NLAF?
>
> Pass.
>
> >18.16 -- If we're axing 3.X in the FAQ, this whole Q&A needs
> >   rewriting.  I could make a stab at it from a pure grammar/math
> >   perspective, but would prefer some input
> >   from someone who actually works on the code.  :-)
>
> It needs rewriting anyway, as PAE changes the maximum again (and it's
> almost certainly different on !i386 too).  I'd just get rid of it; we
> can resurrect it and worry about it later if it ever gets A again.
>

> Also, there is a "Any other information on this subject would be
> appreciated." sticking out like a sort thumb in 9.7 which can go (or
> moved to an XXX comment at least).

OK, I'll whack this into shape while I'm there.

Thanks for your comments!  I feel better knowing that someone has
actually looked at things before I do them.

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas	mwlucas at FreeBSD.org, mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org

"The cloak of anonymity protects me from the nuisance of caring." -Non Sequitur