Questions to kill in FAQ

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Thu May 12 18:59:36 UTC 2005

Folks,

I've just (lightly) read the entire FAQ, and have noticed several
questions that IMHO are no longer Frequently Asked.

IM(NS)HO, these should be deleted from the FAQ.

I got brave and deleted the entry for the SCSI card that hasn't been
manufactured for 13 years, but as I found more and more I thought it
would make more sense to produce a list and solicit opinions before I
tread on somebody's pet question.  :-)

So, following is a list of NLAFs (No Longer a FAQ) that I think should
be either deleted entirely, or severely gutted.  The question numbers
are against a current FAQ build.  I suspect there are more, but these
are obvious.  Comments?  Opinions?

==ml

3.16 -- I believe that the 1024 limit no longer exists on modern FreeBSD?

5.2 -- So, some model of EISA SCSI card has trouble on some model of
  HP Netserver.  This has been in the FAQ for many years, and I
  suspect it is now irrelevant.  It is already useless, because we have
  no idea what model this would be.  :-)

5.9 -- NLAF?

6.1 -- FreeBSD Mall doesn't seem to offer the mentioned "Desktop
  Edition."  (I could lean forward and ask Murray, but Robert is
  talking at the moment and that would be rude.)

6.2,6.4 -- Metrolink seems to be gone, and XiG doesn't appear to support FreeBSD

6.3 -- The answer seems to be "sorry, no longer available."

9.3 -- NLAF?

9.4 -- NLAF?

16.8 -- NLAF?

18.15 -- NLAF?

18.16 -- If we're axing 3.X in the FAQ, this whole Q&A needs
   rewriting.  I could make a stab at it from a pure grammar/math
   perspective, but would prefer some input
   from someone who actually works on the code.  :-)

--
Michael W. Lucas	mwlucas at FreeBSD.org, mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org

"The cloak of anonymity protects me from the nuisance of caring." -Non Sequiter