docs/82508: misleading man page for basename/dirname

Vlad Skvortsov vss at high.net.ru
Wed Jun 22 03:00:40 UTC 2005

>Number:         82508
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       misleading man page for basename/dirname
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The man pages for both basename(3) and dirname(3) state that the functions return pointers to the internal _static_ storage. However, those functions actually perform malloc() call to allocate storage on the first invocation. Thus, the memory pointer returned is actually a pointer to internal but dynamically allocated storage.

I don't know whether this violates standard or not, but the documentation is misleading.
>How-To-Repeat:
      Not applicable.
>Fix:
      Fix the docs.