compile kernel on a powerfull computer and move it to another. WORKS?? (plain text)

klumea simi.freebsd at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 14:39:34 UTC 2005

Hello again,
Thanks Joseph Koshy for teling me to send my email again, I have
changed my e-mail address becouse of I of that...  Sorry for the first
one...

I have installed FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE and now I what to upgrade it to
FreeBSD 5.4, I know that I have to  <make buildworld> first , after
that <make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE> <make installkernel
KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE> and so on...
I do not understand <make sure you have good level 0 dumps>, <maybe
fix /etc/fstab> what should I do to get a good level 0 dumps?

MY problem is that I have a Pentium I at 100Mhz, I  <make buildworld>
for 2 days now and it is still building. Wen I compilet on another
sistem and after that I use ftp to transfer it and after that:
#cd /
#chflags noschg kernel
#cp kernel kernel.old
#cp /var/ftp/incoming/kernel kernel
#chflags schg kernel
#shutdown -r now

If is OK and if it works please let me know, i have not tried.
NOW what happends with the modules, include, ports and all that,  they
are compatible with the new version of kernel, do I have to change
some things or to upgrade everithing, it works if I compile the same
kernel, if I upgrade the kernel to 5.4 it will not working ?
If someone knows please let me know, or point me to a web page or
something, It is paintfull to build a kernel for 3 days.
If I made mistakes I apologize.
--
Simi klumea,
It wasn't me.