Trackball and graphics tablet recommendations

Vulpes Velox v.velox at vvelox.net
Sat Jun 11 03:10:25 UTC 2005

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 02:00:06 +0100
Jon Mercer <jon.mercer at achean.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 19:05 -0500, Vulpes Velox wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:57:56 +0100 (BST)

> > I remember doing the same several months back. From what I
> > remember finding is that it was fixed in netbsd. No clue if it
> > ever got copied over.

> > > Well I've done a bit of research now and decided on a Logitech
> > > Optical Trackman and given up on the idea of a tablet, the
> > > serial ones cost around £400 and that's too much for the use
> > > it'd get. Shame, I'd have enjoyed a new toy...
> >
> > See if you can find a old Acecad Acecat Flair. It is serial but
> > works pretty decent.y
>
> I'll keep an eye out. Shame about the Wacom USB ones (albeit
> they're not cheap), they look pretty good. A case of the more you
> see the more you want...
>
> On a really positive note I have to retrain myself to use a scroll
> wheel with the trackman optical cordless now I got it working. I'm
> still going to the right every time I want to move down.
>
> In fact the documentation or getting odd rodents working under X is
> not well documented in the handbook. Anyone wanna take me up on
> that in the doc list?

I just plugged my mouse in and it worked. AFAIK you don't have to do
any thing moused if it is started at boot time. You will have to mess
with X to get the scroll wheel working.

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Hmm... I wonder if that is in the handbook...