docs/76472: [patch] tell porters handbook about OPTIONS

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Thu Jan 20 08:08:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 08:01:53AM +1100, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
[snip]
> +
> +      <sect2>

Just a couple of minor comments; the text is great.

> +
> +	<sect3>
> +	  <title>Background</title>
> +	    installs the port a dialog with the available options and saves
> +	    them to <filename>/var/db/ports/portname/options</filename>. Next
> +	    time when the port has to be rebuild, the options are reused. Never
> +	    again you have to remember all the twenty

"Never again *will* you have...", perhaps?

> +	  The value for default is either <literal>ON</literal> or
> +	  <literal>OFF</literal>. Multiple repetitions of these three fields
> +	  is allowed.</para>

"Multiple repetitions... *are* allowed" sounds a bit better to me...

I don't think you need 'the' here, since 'command' is never displayed in
the resulting text/HTML/whatever.  I'd suggest 'When the user runs
<command>...'

> +	  <command>make build</command> for the first time), the framework will
> +	  check for
> +	  <filename>/var/db/ports/<replaceable>portname</replaceable>/options</filename>.
> +	  If it doesn't exist, it will use the values of

Maybe "If this file doesn't exist", to avoid confusion as to what the
different 'it's mean :)

> +	  <makevar>OPTIONS</makevar> to create a dialogbox where the options
> +	  can be enabled or disabled. Then the options file is saved and the
> +	  selected variables are set.</para>

The selected variables are only set when the port is actually being
fetched/built/installed, and not in the user environment or anything,
right?  Maybe something like 'and the selected variables will be used
when building the port'.

[snip]
> +	  <title>Brokeness</title>

ITYM Brokenness :)

Other than that, great work!

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at cnsys.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
because I didn't think of a good beginning of it.