New 5.3p5; broken security advisory listing

Alan Amesbury amesbury at oitsec.umn.edu
Thu Jan 20 05:11:10 UTC 2005

Recently I noticed in RELENG_5_3 that FreeBSD-5.3-RELEASE-p5 now
exists.  The entry in /usr/src/UPDATING says

    20050114:       p5      FreeBSD-EN-05:03.ipi
            Avoid more than two pending IPI interrupt vectors per local
            APIC as this may cause deadlocks.

This sounds serious enough to warrant an entry in the 5.3 errata list,
but the one at

    http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/errata.html

shows nothing relating to this.  I realize y'all have real lives, too,
but it seemed unusual to me that a patch would find its way into the
production branch without any indication in the usual spots (other than
the aforementioned UPDATING, and obvious changes in the source tree).
So, I'm NOT complaining, just somewhat puzzled.

Since I'm not sure of the scope of this problem, I also checked
FreeBSD's security advisories to see if there was something there, and
happened to run into another problem.  In

    http://www.freebsd.org/security/index.html

is a link to

    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/index.html

labelled "FTP CERT repository
<ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/index.html>".  Following this
link returns a "550 Failed to change directory" error.  I think this is
because /pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/www/data/gifs doesn't actually
exist on freebsd.isc.org.

Anyway, figured y'all might want to know about this (if you didn't already).

--
Alan Amesbury
University of Minnesota