docs/72925: Developer's Handbook Ch. 11: replace gdb -k with kgdb

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Thu Feb 24 15:52:22 UTC 2005

On Feb 24, 2005, at 2:55 AM, Sebastian Schulze Struchtrup wrote:

> A Problem in section 11.3 (Debugging a Crash Dump with DDD) still
> remains.
> `ddd -k` passes the `-k` to gdb which doesn't recognize it anymore
> (aswe are using kgdb now).
> Specifying `--debugger kgdb` will pass a `-q -fullname` to kgdb which
> kgdb doesn't recognize.
>
> Maybe it would be the simplest approach to let kgdb support this
> options for compatibility
> (maybe just ignore them) (marcel?)

They seem useful to support. In fact the -fullname (or -f) option
is to be passed to the GDB core and not being ignored as it affects
how stack frames are displayed. This allows DDD or Emacs to extract
the file name, line number and column number.

> Perhaps we should file a separate PR to not forget about it?

Yes, please. I'll see if getting it in 5.4 is viable...

  Marcel Moolenaar         USPA: A-39004          marcel at xcllnt.net