docs/77024: typo/bad grammar in indent(1) manpage

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Thu Feb 3 11:20:28 UTC 2005

The following reply was made to PR docs/77024; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org>
To: Adrian Filipi <adrian at ubergeeks.com>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/77024: typo/bad grammar in indent(1) manpage
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:12:09 +0200

 % --- indent.1.orig	Thu Feb  3 00:35:20 2005
 % +++ indent.1	Thu Feb  3 00:36:37 2005
 % @@ -534,7 +534,7 @@
 %  .Pp
 %  .Dl indent *.c
 %  .Pp
 % -to the shell in an attempt to indent all the
 % +To the shell this is an attempt to indent all the
 %  .Em C
 %  programs in a directory.
 % -This is probably a bug, not a feature.
 % +It is probably a bug, not a feature.

 This shows too little context from the original manpage.  Reading both the
 preceding paragraph and the one that follows the displayed material we see:

 %    A common mistake that often causes grief is typing:
 %
 %          indent *.c
 %
 %    to the shell in an attempt to indent all the C programs in a
 %    directory.  This is probably a bug, not a feature.

 If you read both these paragraphs as one sentence, it probably
 makes more sense.  I agree it looks a bit confusing though.

 We can probably rewrite this part as:

 %   A common mistake is to try to indent all the C programs in a
 %   directory by typing:
 %
 %         indent *.c
 %
 %   This is probably a bug, not a feature.