handbook/firewalls-apps.html

Mark Space markspace at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 23 05:10:20 UTC 2005

kirubiru wrote:

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls-apps.html
>

> "...different people have different requirements and preferences."
>
> How about giving some simple characteristic of each?

"...different people have different requirements and preferences. No
single firewall package is the best.

"The author prefers IPFILTER because its stateful rules are much less
complicated to use in a NAT environment and it has a built in ftp proxy
that simplifies the rules to allow secure outbound FTP usage."

You mean like IPFILTER has stateful rules and is much easier to use in a
NAT environment?  And IPFILTER also has the author's personal recomendation?

By gum, that's a great idea.  We should add it right away!! ...oh wait...

kthxbye