docs/85355: [patch] Error in the pin numbers of the described connector in the Handbook (serial).

Yar Tikhiy yar at comp.chem.msu.su
Mon Aug 29 16:30:21 UTC 2005

The following reply was made to PR docs/85355; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Yar Tikhiy <yar at comp.chem.msu.su>
To: "Gary W. Swearingen" <garys at opusnet.com>
Cc: jpeg at thilelli.net, bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/85355: [patch] Error in the pin numbers of the described connector in the Handbook (serial).
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:24:04 +0400

 On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 07:52:16AM -0700, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
 > Yar Tikhiy <yar at comp.chem.msu.su> writes:
 >
 > > It might be reasonable to tell that in general, a null-modem cable
 > > is for connecting a DTE directly to another DTE.  AFAIK, null-modem
 > > cables can be constructed for synchronous comms, too.  Then, the
 > > topic can be narrowed down to async comms.
 >
 > I doubt if Julien wants to do more rewrites on the section.  But I
 > can't resist replying anyway; maybe Yar wants to rewrite it later.

 I'd like to when time permits.  I use FreeBSD and null-modem cables
 often :-) It's good that our discussion of this topic will stay in
 the PR audit trail so that I can consult with it.  Thank you for
 your suggestions!

 > It probably should have some of the cable stuff from the "Serial
 > Ports" section which says that a null-modem is AKA DTE-to-DTE cable
 > and what DTE is, eg, a computer.  And terminals traditionally have
 > included teletypes and printers. (Once there were no CRTs or LCDs.)

 And I'd rather add a better definition for DTE and DCE, which are
 mistaken every there and then.

 --
 Yar