docs/85104: keyboard(4) manpage hides behind Xorg version

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Mon Aug 22 03:10:11 UTC 2005

The following reply was made to PR docs/85104; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: garys at opusnet.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To: Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak at ijs.si>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/85104: keyboard(4) manpage hides behind Xorg version
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:10:48 -0700

 Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak at ijs.si> writes:

 > I could still argue though that changing PATH is as advanced as changing
 > MANPATH, but it doesn't feel like it :)
 > So with default PATH and man path, user should get FreeBSD keyboard manpage
 > first and could explicitly specify 'man 4x keyboard' to get X11 manpage which
 > is what ports/25576 was trying to address.

 It sounds like Giorgos is arguing the same way, so you outvote me.

 But don't you HAVE to change the default path after installing X11?  I
 sure hope the ports system isn't messin' with my "profile".  And where
 do we learn to put more-custom directories at the end of PATH instead
 of the beginning (where I think they belong)?  The several examples of
 PATH setting in the Handbook show both theories (even within the same
 PATH), with mine favored, including: PATH=/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH;

 (One theory is that more-custom directories should override less-custom
 ones so you can easily "replace" their programs; the other theory is
 that doing so makes it too easy to get unexpected custom behavior from
 less-custom programs.)

 > But then again if you change PATH so X11 stuff is first perhaps it is expected
 > to also get manpages for X11 first?

 Yes, but it's not expected (by me) to be so hard to display both
 manpages.

 But this will only waste a small amount of time for a small fraction
 of FreeBSD users, so it's no big deal.  Suspend or close the PR.