docs/85097: [patch] devd.conf.5 lacks a lot of vital information.

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Fri Aug 19 15:19:23 UTC 2005

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at FreeBSD.org> writes:

>  Literal quote characters shouldn't be present in mdoc manuals.

Apparently excepting those used as apostrophes.

>  Colon instead of a fullstop before the beginning of a list, please.

When using colon for a list, it's usually best to avoid using
"the following" as that should be obvious from the colon.

>  % +.Sh EXAMPLES
>  % +The file
>  % +.Pa /etc/devd.conf
>  % +contains numerous of different examples.
>
>  It's probably better to write:
>
>  	The "foo" file contains...
>
>  I'm not sure about this one, though.  It's just a vague feeling that
>  placing the "file" after the filename reads more natural.

The FreeBSD commiter Giorgos said that.
The Giorgos FreeBSD commiter said that.  ???  :)

But "file name" and "name file" both sound fine to me.

Of course, if we didn't have the need for Capitalization, we'd just
write "/etc/devd.conf contains...".  And there's a increasing trend
towards using the French order of "noun, adjective" as in "Zoo
Atlanta" instead of the usual "The Atlanta Zoo", so this would be
OK too:  "File /etc/devd.conf contains...".

> As above, .Ql is not good for quoting multicharacter strings.  It's

Try this:  find $(manpath|sed s/:/\ /g) | xargs zgrep '.Ql'