docs/84265: chmod(1) manpage omits implication of setting w on directory

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Mon Aug 1 14:20:22 UTC 2005

The following reply was made to PR docs/84265; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: garys at opusnet.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/84265: chmod(1) manpage omits implication of setting w on
 directory
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 07:18:47 -0700

 Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org> writes:

 > Does that look ok?

 Some will think it says too much, or says it in the wrong manpage, but
 it looks good to me. (I'd probably delete "by design...need to".)
 I hope you include this in the same para as your other sentence.

 BTW, I forgot that you might just be commenting on the PR and it might
 not be assigned to you (yet?).  Unless I hear otherwise, I'll just
 forget about it for a while and see later whether I need to do more
 with it, like write (small?)  patches for chown & chgrp, which I'm now
 thinking should probably refer to this rather extensive explanation in
 chmod.  Unless you think it needn't be mentioned anywhere else.