RELENG_4_10?

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Tue Apr 26 02:13:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 01:12:19AM -0700, Eric Pretorious wrote:

> I'm just wondering about the fate of the 4.10 release. (I've had difficulties
> with 4.11 and prefer 4.10.) When I perform an installation with my 4.10
> CD-ROM, I'm not able to add packages (e.g., cvsup-without-gui)
> as /pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.10-RELEASE is no longer available.
>
> Is it still possible to maintain a 4.10 installation? (This subject isn't
> addressed directly in The Handbook.)

Due to the size of the main FTP site we have needed to trim down on
how many of the full package sets we keep online.  The precompiled
packages from the 4.10 release are one of the ones taken off the
main mirror sites.

At this point you can only do a basic install of 4.10 and then build
up from that after the initial reboot.  Once it's up and running you
can do one of:

	- Build your own ports from /usr/ports using the normal
	  procedures for building them yourself.  This might not
	  be completely successful - some of the downloads that
	  are needed for that old an ports tree might not be available
	  any more.
	- Better, update /usr/ports using cvsup and do the builds from
	  that.  You'll get more current versions of things (and there
	  have been security related fixes to many ports that are worth
	  getting).
	- If you really want to use pre-compiled packages (see above
	  comment saying many packages have had important security
	  fixes - the precompiled packages won't have those fixes)
	  are still available on the ftp-archive.freebsd.org site.

ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/i386/4.10-RELEASE/packages/

would have the 4.10 release package set on it.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |