Found a mistake

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Apr 25 02:03:28 UTC 2005

On 2005-04-24 00:56, Remko Lodder <remko at freebsd.org> wrote:
> S.L.L. Tan wrote:
> >In section 3.3.1 on this page:
> >http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/permissions.html
> >The last paragraph says:
> >"A comma separated list can be provided when more than one set of
> >changes to a file must be made. For example the following command will
> >remove the groups and ``world'' write permission on FILE, then it adds
> >the execute permissions for everyone:
> >
> >% chmod go-w,a+x FILE
> >"
> >The command does not do what the text says. The text says "world" but
> >the command is for "Other".
>
> Other also stands for "world". If you are not the owner of the file,
> nor are in the group, the other permissions (aka world) are right for
> you.
>
> So the command does what is says it does imo.

I sort of agree that the description of the command could probably use a
bit of rewording though.  Perhaps something like this?

:       For example the following command removes the write
:       permission from everyone except the user who owns the file
:       (``group'' and ``other'' modifiers of the ``-w'' flag) and
:       then add execute permission for everyone (``all'' modified
:       for the ``+x'' flag).
:
:       % chmod go-w,a+x FILE