Found a mistake

Remko Lodder remko at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 23 22:55:39 UTC 2005

S.L.L. Tan wrote:

> Hi, I found a mistake in the FreeBSD handbook. I intend to send you
> other mistake I might find unless you tell me to stop.

Please report them :-)

> In section 3.3.1 on this page:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/permissions.html
> The last paragraph says:
> "A comma separated list can be provided when more than one set of
> changes to a file must be made. For example the following command will
> remove the groups and ``world'' write permission on FILE, then it adds
> the execute permissions for everyone:
>
> % chmod go-w,a+x FILE
> "
>
> The command does not do what the text says. The text says "world" but
> the command is for "Other".

Other also stands for "world". If you are not the owner of the file,
nor are in the group, the other permissions (aka world) are right for
you.

So the command does what is says it does imo.

--
Kind regards,

      Remko Lodder  ** remko at elvandar.org
      Reporter DSINET  **  remko at DSINet.org
      Founder Tienervaders  ** remko at tienervaders.org
      FreeBSD Documentation Project  ** remko at FreeBSD.org